[asterisk-biz] Skype technology licensing.

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Fri Jul 31 15:28:27 CDT 2009

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Alex Balashov wrote:

> Thoughts welcome, particularly as they relate to the Asterisk/Skype
> project(s):
>
> http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article6735381.ece

  At the end of the day, this is a contractual dispute, and if Skype/eBay
  got into a bad-for-them agreement with Joltid, and then tried to get
  around it technically, and Joltid caught wind of it and asked them to
  stop, and they didn't, then the law system seems to be working correctly.

  I'm sure that Skype will survive in some way or another, and if it
  doesn't, something else will rise up from the ashes.  Maybe the founders
  of Skype who are now Joltid planned it this way and got away with the
  contract Joltid signed with Skype that greatly benefitted them to the
  point where Skype could no longer exist, leaving a big hole for Joltid to
  jump into with their Skype-killing product.

  Sketchy, maybe unethical even if my supposition is true, but legal
  nonetheless.

Beckman