[asterisk-biz] DID and CNAM

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Jul 10 15:57:36 CDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 15:44 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Steve Totaro wrote:
>
> > Sorry to say that everything is shortlived.  Grab it while you can and
> > be ready to move quickly to the next thing.
>
> Of course.
>
> That does not mean there is not a useful degree of relativity;  some
> things are more shortlived than others, and some things are far more
> gainful in their lifecycle than others.

I do not see CNAM dips as arbitrage, sure they can be used that way, but
the reality is that they do not implicitly have to be.

If you run an outgoing call center, the calls are going to be placed
anyway.  If you can do something that will lower the overall cost for
that call center does that make it a bad thing?  Does that mean that it
will be short lived?  Until the carriers go bill and keep on DB queries
like CNAM money will still change hands, the amount might go down, but
it will still be there, and in the instance that I provided its
supplemental to lower, not totally offset, the cost of the phone calls.

If its somehow wrong to be compensated for CNAM dips then I would
suggest its wrong to switch to voip or open source tools or anything
else that similarly lowers the operating costs.

If you think people are trying to make a living solely out of CNAM dips,
then I would be amazed at anyone who is able ot do that short of waiting
for a 180 and then sending a BYE.  Since you have to generally sign a
contract saying you wont cache the data, I could see larger companies
like vonage targeted who provides CNAM for inbound calls.

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721