[asterisk-biz] Alternative to QueueMetrics

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jan 17 06:38:59 CST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 06:48 -0500, Alex Balashov wrote:
> True distributed queues can only be achieved by rolling one's own.
> Asterisk's built-in queues do not suffice;  they are confined logically
> to one host.  Duplicating them is not the same as distributing.

I guess its fortunate that there are other FOSS alternatives that do
have this ability :)

However if you dont want to use them for a distributed queue you can
probably play games with a dbput and park (asterisk has a park app
right?) and just use odbc or something to talk to the db.

or you can get res_js and embed spidermonkey (mozillas javascript
engine) into asterisk and use that to do the grunt work.  It has been my
experience that res_js performs better than the dialplan (comparison was
a dialplan that did basically the same as the JS script, the JS script
had better error checking though - the JS thing was a 1 line dialplan
putting all calls into the JS script).  I got more calls per second and
a higher total number of calls on the box when using res_js.

You will have to port res_js forward since it was last done for 1.2 and
not upgraded since.  Of course if you use this and distribute a system
you have to refer to the trademark license since this is a modification
of the software and all that.
http://www.digium.com/en/company/view-policy.php?id=Trademark-Policy

see the section "Users Permitted Under This Policy" section e (hey at
least you dont have to disown asterisk completely anymore).

You can get res_js from http://www.freeswitch.org/node/50 along with
other asterisk modules.

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721