[asterisk-biz] DIDx Issues (Was: Re: Nonprofit Org Who Helps Families Telethon)

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sat Jan 10 08:22:52 CST 2009

Trixter said:
> On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 01:36 -0500, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
>> DIDx has an "alternate ring-to" feature. So if our Asterisk server is
>> down, the calls can roll-over elsewhere.
>
> are you saying that your asterisk server is constantly down?  Shouldnt
> that be addressed?  I mean failover features are nice, but when the app
> requires constant failover you would think that it should become a
> priority to address that fact.  Maybe its just me.

When you are testing a feature you want to rely on, and it doesn't work, it
makes sense to complain.  Maybe Andrew found the problem when he had an
unexpected network outage, or maybe he was being really good and testing an
advertised feature before putting it into production.

Outages happen for unexpected reasons all the time.  Sometimes it's your
own fault, more often than not it's your provider or an upstream provider's
fault.  Either way, if an advertised feature isn't working as expected, I
think Andrew's request is totally in line and reasonable.

Beckman