[asterisk-biz] Digium certified asterisk professional or CCIE VOIP

Nir Simionovich nir.simionovich at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 04:03:59 CST 2009

Hi George,

   After reading everybody's comments, I'll give you my 2c on the
matter, as I'm an Asterisk/VoIP/Networking consultant in Israel.

   In general, certifications don't mean much to most of your customers
as they will be looking for the bottom line - which is what you know and
what is your know-how. However, depending on your prospective customer
target and approached market sector, certifications may become a valid
ally in your quest.

   For example, say that you would like to approach a company like
Verizon or Vonage, stating that you are an Asterisk consultant. The
immediate response from your target entry point would be: state your
certifications, experience and references. Now, as long as you are in
the first 9 months of your business, you won't have many references -
what you have is experience and possibly certifications. In this case,
the certifications can help you a little.

   Without being self promotional, let's take a look to my case. I've
founded the Israeli Asterisk community back in 2004, when basically
there was nothing to build upon - as I was more or less the only user
here. I started building the community, one by one, installation by
installation, and surely enough, almost 5 years later, there are over
300 community members, over 3000 installations in Israel and as the
founder of the community, people no longer really care for my
certification - they know my experience and mileage. So, when I started
my own business in 2007, I had already a few things working for me and I
need to thank Google for that.

   Now, I would assume that your situation is a little different, thus,
your actions should be different. In any case, neither certification nor
references should hold you back. If your dream is becoming an Asterisk
consultant, use your know-how and charisma to promote yourself. Don't be
shy to self-promote where required, don't negate ideas of promotion
simply because you don't believe they won't work, don't shoot down ideas
just because they may go against your normal nature - in other words,
keep an open mind, an open heart and be true to your way - you will
succeed.

   Don't dwell on competition, believe in co-optetition. Any entity,
even the competitor can easily become your partner, under the right
circumstances. One of the biggest projects I've done in the past 18
months was sent to me from people who consider me the competition. I'm
not telling you to dwell into euphoria and believe that the world is all
good and pink, I simply urge you to not dwell into despair and negativity.

   And most importantly, what ever you read from any of us, read it,
think about - value it in comparison to your thoughts and desires, only
then decide on your path. I'm confident you'll make the right choice and
the proper path for success.

   God speed...