[asterisk-biz] android.com

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Jan 8 21:59:00 CST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 18:14 -0700, Rehan Allah Wala wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Does anyone know's if it is possible to take a standard Say HP Ipaq Phone and Flush the OS
> on it, and put Android (Mobile OS by google) on it ?
>
> The source code is now available on  http://www.android.com

short answer: yes

long answer: it depends

The OS would have to support the hardware, and many phones are entirely
different hardware, sometimes they swap out components without changing
the model number the consumer would see.  There are programs like Haret
which are windows mobile programs designed to boot linux on the device,
largely for porting - as its an overlay a reboot goes back to the
factory installed os.

The reality is that these phones are all manufactured blank and the OS
gets installed at some point, usually via JTAG to get enough that it can
load the rest through some other means (JTAG isnt exactly fast compared
to other means).  So as long as there is OS support you can do it.

This is how people have run asterisk on such devices for the last 5-6
years or so, since asterisk does not really run on windows and last I
checked the work that was done to make it run in windows was broken by
later patches and generally that made it harder - and I do not know that
asterisk ever ran on any of the mobile versions of windows.

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721