[asterisk-biz] OT: Paying people in faraway (Western) places.

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Thu Jan 8 10:39:22 CST 2009

While on this contentious issue.....

For anyone running a USA based corporation that have staff employed
using green cards or H1 visas etc then you should expect a lot of them
to begin to leave in about 4-5 years from now before the implementation
of the HEART Taxation Act in 7 years from now.

If you haven't heard about this yet, this tax code change was swept in
under the guise of 'giving more money to returning troops'.

But what it basically means is anyone living in the USA for more than 8
years has to continue pay tax in the USA for 10 years after they
leave!!!!!

LOL.

So 18 years from now I could still be paying tax to the USA government
even though I leave the country in 2014.

This is going to be a major blow to the IT industry in the USA and a big
problem trying to attract staff.

I was at a conference last year where this was being discussed and half
the people affected in the room had never heard about it let alone begun
to think through the consequences.

http://deancollinsblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/heart-taxation-act-drives-aw
ay-green.html

Regards,