[asterisk-biz] OT: Re: comepletely off topic political stuff

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Wed Jan 7 20:06:39 CST 2009

[body deleted, and I've intentionally broken message threading on this
reply]

I've been watching this thread title and the related follow-ups (some
with different titles) with some dismay, but I don't think at this
time it is appropriate to moderate the list.  Self-moderation has
worked in the past, and I see no reason to change that for just a few
messages that are undesired.

This is the list for Asterisk business.  While there may be some grey
areas surrounding what is acceptable to post (repeatedly) for your
company or services, there is CLEARLY no reason to be posting
discussions about social, political, or economic issues on this
forum.  There are many other places for that, but this is not one of
them.  Refrain from cluttering the list with discussions of your
opinions regarding issues other than those directly related to VoIP or
Asterisk topics.  Please exercise self-restraint and don't reply or
follow up to threads that are not relevant to this discussion forum,
even though you are feeling righteous rage at someone who has
expressed an opinion with which you disagree or said something that is
factually incorrect.

While I believe it is not appropriate at this time to moderate the
list, in the most extreme cases of off-topic digression it may be
necessary to remove users who continually do not adhere to commonly
acceptable posting topic standards.  However, we're not there yet.  I
am less disappointed with threads that are business-oriented but yet
are not relevant to Asterisk business issues directly, as often there
are interested parties on these topics.  But even those are only
useful if they are not topics to the exclusion of more pertinent and
related issues.  Please seek out the appropriate forums for these
discussions, and then perhaps just post a link if there is the thought
that there is a similar audience interest on the asterisk-biz list.

This will hopefully be the last reply to the list on this particular
topic for another few years.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/