[asterisk-biz] OT: Paying people in faraway (Western) places.

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Jan 7 18:30:20 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 19:15 -0500, Alex Balashov wrote:
> Are you serious?  This is retarded.  Not like "slow" retarded, more like
> clinically braindead retarded.

I never said it wasnt :P

> There is absolutely no reason why someone in the UK working for me
> should have to give two craps about US taxation, or know anything about
> it, or even know what the IRS is.  If their government wants to tax
> income received from foreign sources instead of domestic ones in the
> same basic fashion they do, well, I guess that might be hard to argue
> with, but that should be the limit.

They arent in the US, you are, so its on you to comply with their rules
or relocate and do business to business transactions.  There are some
things that are generally ignored (for now ...) where no employees,
offices, agents, or anything else are in the US, then the transaction is
deemed to be outside and all that.  Hell if you buy goods online you are
required to remit state sales tax on your own (yeah really).

Jersey has 0% corporate tax rates (20% individual) which upsets the US
and many EU nations to no end claiming "its not fair", why they got put
on a tax haven list recently.  There are other places that similarly
have good tax laws that allow you to structure things in a way that is
legal but gets around the tax laws.  Remember "tax avoidance" is legally
structuring stuff to not pay taxes, while "tax evasion" is the illegal
way - the difference largely is pre-planning and intentionally making an
effort to avoid those rules.

To paraphrase a US judge, it is every tax payers right to lower their
tax liability in any way the law allows.

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721