[asterisk-biz] OT: Paying people in faraway (Western) places.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Jan 7 17:41:52 CST 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: OT: Paying people in faraway (Western) places.
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 18:41:34 -0500
From: Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>
To: Asterisk Developers list <asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com>

Hi everyone,

I have what must be an incredibly, astoundingly stupid question, but
I've never really dealt with it before and it's come up.

For those of you based in the US, how do you pay employees outside the
country?  And, I do mean employees, not contractors, staffing firms,
body shops, consultants, or any of the stuff that comes with offshoring.

In this case, the question is paying someone in Britain, so asking
people who have Third World offshoring experience might be a little
misplaced and that is why I am asking here instead.

What's the best practice to pay a remote employee in the UK a paycheck?
  Paypal aside, how's it done?  I am assuming bank wire.  How does that
interact with withholding and taxes?  Obviously, I can't withhold UK
taxes for them and remand them to its government, so are they
responsible for doing it themselves like 1099ers in the US?  What do I
need to tell them?  Any non-obvious gotchas?

Thanks!

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems