[asterisk-biz] ATA Bank for Asterisk, 400 phones

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Jan 7 10:09:51 CST 2009

> I have used the Vega with good results. The version I used did 24 ports in
1U, but they also have a 48port in >1U model.

>See http://www.vegastream.com/vegastream-portfolio/vega5000.asp
>
>OP did not spec, but he may wish to have gateways distributed if not all
phones come back to a central MDF. If >so then adding multiple USB to a
single server would be problematic.

This is another great option.. Vegastream and Audiocodes both make very
sophisticated and mature SIP to FXO/FXS/PRI gateways. I have used Audiocodes
in several installations, and once you get past the initial shock of
configuring them correctly, they are ROCK SOLID.

This way, you can geographically distribute gateways and backhaul them via
SIP. Best of all, the hardware echo cancellation is done at the gateway,
your routing can be configured to fail-over to central switching core (read
multiple Asterisk servers or a cluster) and you get full T.38 support as
well for Fax applications that may need to bypass the Asterisk boxes.

All of these are more expensive solutions than the Astribank, but I believe
that each situation is independent.

Don't get me wrong.. I really like the Astribank products, and as a low
volume solution, I think they are fine applications.. I just question the
sanity and scalability of deploying them for a 400+ phone installation.

Also, just out of curiosity, is the Astribank supported w/ Switchvox?