[asterisk-biz] ATA Bank for Asterisk, 400 phones

Rob Lith rob at connection-telecom.com
Wed Jan 7 09:33:39 CST 2009

Greg

On 7 Jan 2009, at 15:45, Gregory Boehnlein wrote:

>> I would like to add some information about the capacity of the USB
>> 2.0
>> connection. The USB 2.0 interface provides a theoretical speed of
>> 480,000,000 bits per second. A typical uncompressed phone
>> conversation
>> uses about 64,000 bits per second per direction, plus some
>> overhead; in
>> total less than 200,000 bits per second per phone call is used.
>> Thus, the
>> theoretical concurrent number of conversations that the USB 2.0
>> interface can handle is 480,000,000 divided by 200,000: roughly 2,400
> calls for a
>> single USB 2.0 port. For more info, see
>> http://www.xorcom.com/astribank-technology/usb2-interface.html
>
> Have you done this in production? Is there an actual case study and/or
> company that is doing this with the hardware that I can speak with?
> I'd like
> to see what performance is like with 256 active channels on a USB bus.

Here are some practical test done by Xorcom. Depending mainly on the
echo can tail you can get up to 240 calls with 32 taps, as the system
has to work harder for 128 taps you only get 93...

XR3000 + on board [2ports PRI] + [24FXS]
16 Astribanks [32FXS]
System Total:  2 PRI, 536 extensions

Setting:
dtmf_detection=yes