[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Nitzan Kon nk3569 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 01:28:40 CST 2009

--- On Mon, 1/5/09, Trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:

> On the flipside, AMS-IX charges something like 2500
> euro/month for a 10gbps link or something

Yeah, I saw figures like that when I was looking for a European
server. It's insane :) (in a good way)

> But then the same concept still applies, tests done here
> are not that applicable to people outside of this area.  People
> in south africa, pakistan, japan, etc will have little use for
> them.  So unless they are done everywhere they become somewhat
> meaningless.

Agreed.

> Additionally destination numbers are likely to have some effect
> in terms of quality, if I call a DE number it may go over a
> different provider than if I call a NL number.

And also agreed.

> Basically it means that there is a lot of testing that has
> to be done, and the testing has to be blind to the providers
> to prevent any of them from rigging the test.  Not saying that
> they will, but to remove the potential they cant know which
> ones are the test calls.

Well, what may be possible to do, is essentially have volunteers
from different parts of the world run the tests, and sort the
data based on the searcher's location versus the test data from
around their location.

Although I agree- it's not very practical as this will require
a huge volunteer effort, not to mention coding and sorting the
data to actually mean something.

But hey, even a quality-from-the-US-only perspective would be
better than nothing. i.e. if a VSP's quality sucks even locally,
they'll be horrible if you're calling from Pakistan.

-- Nitzan
http://www.comparevoipproviderrates.com/