[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Jan 5 01:14:05 CST 2009

Most of my response to this has already been captured in some form by
Kristian and Ken, but just to sum up:

1. I didn't say that these types of signaling errata don't occur.  They
do.  They should be treated as a cost of doing business.  If they
account for a nontrivial percentage of lost revenue, you've got a more
fundamental problem of a technical nature somewhere and need to fix the
problem at the source.

The lost money should be utterly trivial in comparison to the amount of
money you would need to spend to handle all media from customers in a
way that is reliable, scalable and reasonably mitigates QoS issues.
Scalability is probably the biggest cost, even though it is not visible
as an immediate, short-term cash outflow.

As with most other things in business, it needs to be Pareto-optimal.

2. As Ken alluded, if you have a nontrivial amount of such occurrences,
there is most likely a technical problem somewhere.  You, your vendors,
or your suppliers are doing something wrong.

SIP signaling is not inherently flawed in its relationship to
accounting, or exceptionally unreliable compared to other signaling
technologies where the transport and switching assembly entails a
separate signaling and bearer plane.  SIP does have reliable
retransmission of initial and sequential requests as well as final
replies, and they do work--if you're losing more than an infinitesimal
fraction of them, you've got a network or equipment problem in the path.
  CPE disappearing due to shoddy power or connectivity can be mitigated
through the use of session timers, as Kristian suggested.

You need to figure out what the problem is.

At the root of this, what I'm advocating is not a reckless disregard for
cost control or billing discrepancies as much as it is a lean,
fundamentals-based, back-to-basics, no-nonsense technical and backoffice
process strategy.

By the way, 179811 - 130740 is a difference of 49071.  249 / 49071 is an
average per-minute rate of half a penny ($.005), so let's say for
assumption's sake that the rest of your traffic (the 130k minutes)
consists of $.005/min flat.  That's $650, which means your overage is
38% of the rest of your gross.  If you have that kind of billing errata,
you've got far, far more fundamental issues per million than random CDR
slips due to missing signaling in normal operating conditions should
produce.  While nobody knows what that exposure figure is, it shouldn't
be ~25% of your bill!

I've successfully set up SIP-only usage accounting for an operation that
does over 3 million minutes a month, and their discrepancies with their
upstream carriers (yes, they use SIP trunks) average an error margin of
maybe 1.2%.  Now, this is a viciously thin-margin space, so really, 1.2%
is too high and I'm trying to get that corrected for them.  I should
follow my own advice.

-- Alex