[asterisk-biz] Experimental/new VoIP rate search engine.

Nitzan Kon nk3569 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 00:33:50 CST 2009

--- On Sun, 1/4/09, Kristian Kielhofner <kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, if the carrier has IP endpoints in Amsterdam, why
> not test it from various points in Europe?

This is a little pointless IMHO because routing inside Europe
is usually done via insanely high bandwidth European rings
where you literally get no latency. I just tested from our
Amsterdam server and latency to Germany was 8 ms, London
was 7 ms, and a "high" 20 ms to Nice, France.

In other words, if a provider tests well from one point in
Europe - chances are they'll be OK from anywhere within the
EU.

The US is a totally different story. A west cost user may
have 20 ms to a California server, but 100 ms to an east
coast server. And even if two users have the exact same
latency they can and probably will travel over different
IP transit carriers (one will travel on L3, the other on
Cogent, for example). It's quite a mess when you really
look at the traceroutes. :)

-- Nitzan
http://www.comparevoipproviderrates.com/