[asterisk-biz] OT: Independent ISPs in the US

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Jan 4 21:00:35 CST 2009

voip-asterisk at maximumcrm.com wrote:
>> There's no easy money.  You won't last long in pure resale.  You have to
>> add value.  At the moment, there's a compelling value proposition to
>> offer relative to other VoIP O/T & ITSP call shops in better
>> engineering, better peering, better tools, and better rates.
>>
>> But how long can you beat the folks who actually do the hauling and
>> switching, especially as they make it easier for your customers to go
>> straight to them?
>
> At the end of the day it depends how much they want to do with these
> customers. It might be that the way they can make money is to keep having
> resellers and only have to support a handful of technically litterate
> companies then gobs of peoples who can't tell how to plug an ethernet
> cable.
>
> Look now at the Bell of this world which are stuggling to stay solvent.
> There are real costs in supporting a lot of customers and these can
> quickly drag down profitability on a low margin product.
>
> Point in case, Bell Canada had to cancel a privatization deal with
> Teachers because the new entity would have been insolvent.

Well, yes.  This is the core of the traditional justification for the
existence of VARs, distributors, resellers, channel partners, etc. in
the value chain.

I didn't say the VoIP reseller opportunity will spontaneously cease to
exist.  It's just going to get a whole lot harder, I think, as the
product's character approaches that of a commodity.  Plus, this is
technology service we're talking about;  it's just too easy to come up
with optimisation and automation solutions to make some middleman
substantially irrelevant.  Not as easy to do in many other business
endeavours where distributors provide economies of scale in logistics.

It may be, as you say, that the carriers will be perfectly happy to
stick resellers with all the high-overhead and low-margin customers.
But that doesn't mean they won't cherry-pick the high-volume and/or
high-margin customers you rely on to offset the losses from your less
profitable base.  They might not want to take over the needy, demanding
and vociferous n00bs, but they'll gladly undercut you with the guy who
passes you a million frictionless minutes a month and never calls or has
any issues and pays early every time.  That changes your economics quite
a bit.

Some small ISPs continue to survive this way, too.  Yes, you can add
value to the pipe.  But the important thing is that then the pipe itself
is something of a loss leader, and not the thing off which you are
making the money.  Small ISPs that provide patient and extensive
technical support to 80 year old grandmothers running spyware-ridden
Windows 95 PCs in the countryside have enormous customer loyalty among
the customers they do have.  :-)

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov