[asterisk-biz] Fraud warning: "recruiters" asking for your social security number over the phone

C. Savinovich c.savinovich at itntelecom.com
Fri Feb 20 18:29:13 CST 2009

  Beware of unscrupulous people posting as recruiters who post job openings
with the goal of gathering resumes.   Then they contact you and pretend they
have a position available for you in a big company... the most frequently
mentioned employer is AT&T, but I have also heard ITT... they interview you
over the phone and then they end up asking you to provide them your social
security number.  I have also been asked for the last 5 digits of my SSN,
(The first 4 digits are easier to get since they are related to the SSN
office near the area you were born).  Some of these calls are clearly from
overseas, some of them with thick, thick accents... but I have also received
calls from people with no accent at all, and very eloquent (that's scary).
The last call I received today was really interesting, after I asked the
caller up front if he was going to ask me for my SSN, and he saying he would
not, he exchanged more emails with me, and ended up sending me an NDA to
sign and fax back, in which it asked me to write my SSN!

CS