[asterisk-biz] DID's with messaging?

Nir Simionovich nir.simionovich at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 03:47:41 CST 2009

Hi Guys,

   Having worked in the mobile industry, the SMSC isn't the only
component here that is required. First off, you'll need that your
DID provider be able to carry the unique signaling nature of SMS via
your IP connection.

   Now, let us imagine that you're using an MVNO, you'll need two
distinct connections to the MVNO, one for VoIP and one for SMS. In
addition, at the carrier level, most carrier will prefer the SMPP
protocol - not HTTP or another XML based variant. The reason is that
SMPP is a standard support by almost any mobile switch manufacturer. At
that point, you'll need to use something like Kannel in order to
facilitate that specific inter-connect.

   Now, let us say that we want to traverse an SMS from the IP world,
connected to Asterisk, to the mobile world. Apart from an SMS MT
provider, we'll need a proper connection. If we want to do this directly
from Asterisk, we'll either need a direct connection to the SMSC and the
SMS MT provider level (I doubt that will happen), or some form of an
external interface means - again, defeats the purpose I believe.

   Integrating SMPP into Asterisk is interesting, but I'm not sure that
it is a worthwhile task for the project to take in any case.

Nir