[asterisk-biz] DID's with messaging?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Fri Feb 13 22:56:01 CST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Jared Geiger wrote:

> TSGlobal offers it via Level3 DIDs. However I wonder what would prevent
> someone from taking DIDs that you pay for from a CLEC, setting up an SMSC
> and buying a wholesale account with an SMS company such as Sybase365,
> Singlepoint, etc. ?
>
> If you give the SMS provider your number ranges that you own, I figure it
> should work. This is just thinking out loud but I'm sure something in the
> telephony world prevents this.

  Unlikely.  The carriers, if they catch on, will NOT like text messages
  from leaving the safety of the handset.

  There isn't a whole lot of non-cell-handset SMS messages that are not
  either originated or destined to a handset, and the carriers love this.

  If all of a sudden people could text their SIP phone, or text between SIP
  phones, in some sort of globally accessible way, the carriers would hunt
  the offending aggregator and shut off their link.

  In my opinion.

  So as to not let people think I am just guessing, I've worked as CTO of
  two small SMS-based companies from 2004-2006, and some of my colleagues
  had worked at one of the largest SMS aggregation businesses in the US.
  I've asked them a few times if this could be done, and they continue to
  believe exactly what I said above.

Beckman