[asterisk-biz] PBX got Hacked

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 10:07:10 CST 2009

Steve Totaro wrote:

> [...]
>     after
>     >> going in and creating the second account.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >
>     > the problem is that you would need it to know to use sudo if it
>     doesnt,
>     > I do not know if its smart enough to say "you arent root so let
>     me sudo
>     > this command".
>     >
>     >
>     >
>      All valid points, but don't forget what the whole objective of
>     Switchvox is. While you might very well be able to do what you're
>     suggesting above, you might also be voiding warranty/support when
>     you also inadvertently but effectively lock out the Switchvox
>     folks from being able to support you. If you never want support or
>     interaction from Switchvox again, this might be a viable solution
>     for you, but I don't get the impression that most people that buy
>     Switchvox in the first place are looking for a "disconnected"
>     relationship from them after the initial purchase.
>
>      If Switchvox is recommending that you put their appliance behind
>     a firewall and you choose not to, then that's like a plumber
>     installing a shower and not caulking the gap between the floor and
>     the wall when the manual has suggested that you do so. It may take
>     a while for the water leaking through to develop into black mold,
>     rot out the wood behind it, and other nice things like that, but
>     it's probably only a matter of time before it actually happens.
>

>      BJ
>
>     --
>     Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
>     http://www.btwtech.com/
>

> Huh, what is this propaganda?  Black mold by locking down a Linux
> system?  I call BS.
>
> First, SwitchVox will not connect to your box unless you get past the
> gatekeepers, AKA "Level 1 Techs Who Answer the Phone" who will keep
> you jumping though hoops for week or even months.  Flatly telling you
> that they "cannot access your box, they do not have the password".
>
> Besides that, if your box is firewalled, then you have to grant them
> access, that is if they grant you the favor to really support their
> product....
>
> If you do get past the gatekeepers, then you are probably pretty tired
> of SwitchVox by now and you have been suffering for weeks with a
> crippled mission critical system.
>
> During this hell hole of back and forth "Support", you have plenty of
> time to do a SwitchVox backup and then re-install via installation
> media, upgrade, and finally restore your backup.
>
> I think is more of a brushoff of "Unsupported" configurations, which
> means you are to blame if don''t head the warnings.
>
> 1.  Charge for support
> 2.  Don't provide suppot
> 3.  Profit
>
> I think most experienced *nix administrators can handle their own

 I think maybe you misread my post. I don't think it's propaganda at all. Switchvox, apparently, instructs you to put their device behind a firewall. If you don't, then just like doing a poor plumbing job, you're a prime candidate for "leaks" and things that come with "leaks" down the line.

 With regard to your post, "I think most experienced *nix administrators can handle their own IPTables, OpenVPN, and whatever else.". Yes. I totally agree, but as someone already raised the point, how many of the authorized SwitchVox resellers actually have "experienced *nix administrators" on staff?   I sincerely doubt that's one of their requirements to become a reseller, and while I do understand it, I think to not have at least one of those types of people on staff with those types of skills *should* be a requirement for a good reseller.