[asterisk-biz] PBX got Hacked

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sat Feb 7 17:46:19 CST 2009

Let me guess.

1.       The Switchvox was open to the Internet

2.       The extensions were simple (three / four digits) and the passwords
matched the extensions

3.       The attacker was able to register from the public Internet as one
of the users and send the calls.

Sounds much more like an installation done by someone who had no clue about
IP security. Don't blame Switchvox for the installers lack of a clue..
Switchvox is designed to run behind a firewall, and best practices for
installation would dictate that you be very paranoid about what to allow to
communicate w/ the PBX. Allowing it to be openly accessed on the Public
Internet is shear stupidity.

So.. what am I missing here?