[asterisk-biz] FW: de-latinisation of the web - http://blog.collins.net.pr/2009/12/de-latinisation-of-web.html

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Dec 29 21:51:57 CST 2009

The problem is not ICANN or the use of non-Latin character sets. The
problem is the way current browsers handle non-Latin character sets and
how human beings pay attention to them. Both of these technical problems
are, theoretically, surmountable. However, given the history Apple,
Mozilla, and Microsoft have with allowing gaping security holes to exist
in their handling of non-Latin character data, and the overall history
of people who tend to, on average, be rather clueless about how the
Internet works, I'm not sure how practical it is to assume that this is
actually a solvable problem.

To disallow the vast majority of speakers of the world the use of their
own languages (remember, Mandarin is still the number one spoken
language in the world, and as China will continue to grow as a world
power in the decade to come, this number is only going to grow) simply
because there are some lazy developers and some lazy people who create
dangers where none really should exist is NOT a solution. It's a
bandage. A kludge, as it were.

The dangers of the Internet will always be the criminals vs. everyone
else (I will not use the term 'hacker' and criminal synonymously as they
are not synonymous). Failing to move forward in a global world for fear
of running into more criminals than you met before is never going to
work as a solution.

N.