[asterisk-biz] Protect Source Code based software

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Sun Dec 6 18:56:19 CST 2009

On 5/12/09 4:04 AM, Ignacio Ramos wrote:
> Hello frieds, we have finished the development of a high-enterprise
> multi-tenant call center and we are about to install it the client's
> NOC. How ever, we are a little worried about the client getting our
> software and reselling it, since we will install all the
> Asterisk+PHP+Ajax source code in their servers.
>
> So I would like to know, how do you protect your OpenSource-based
> software from being copy&paste? Do you install only the executable
> files? what program do you use for that?

There are a few ways:

1. Zend (already mentioned)

2. Phone Home licensing (be sure you're providing a
salt+nonce+geographically redundant servers).

3. Compile with extra data to specify client (only really applicable for
a C app).

I note you're using Asterisk, PHP and Ajax.

Asterisk you'd need a business license from Digium to encrypt -
otherwise you'd be in breach of the GPL.

PHP - Zend etc

Ajax - Good luck - obfuscation is probably the best.

We provide a mix of options.  Zend framework allows you to get the
machine ID - you can license a product to just that CPU.

We also provide most of our code in Open Source (BSD) format and
encourage copying.  The front end of the software then talks to the back
end of the software (written in ANSI C) which connects to our licensing
servers to update itself etc.

It's a really messy field, and you'll need to be 100% sure that you are
not using _ANY_ software written by a third party - unless you're
releasing as Open Source (in which case you need to be sure your
licenses match).

Ohloh.net can be good for checking on this.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell
Managing Director