[asterisk-biz] Need USA virtual PRIs for www.VisionVoIP.com

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Aug 31 11:55:27 CDT 2009

Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 12:30 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
>> Indeed.  In addition to having no support among manufacturers of VoIP
>> network elements used in service delivery platforms of nontrivial size
>> (I am not referring to phones or ATAs), IAX has a fundamental design
>> flaw that makes it unworkable for large amounts of traffic.
>>

> didnt they allow the separation of media and signaling in later
> versions?  Of course this would mean that you are at the whim of the
> users version of iax if they did, and if the user restricts the ability
> to do that you are boned.
>
> I really dont know if iax did this or not, I dont use it I just heard at
> one point that they separated it, not just a reinvite type handoff but a
> real separation of signalling and media.
>
> The handoff requires the customer to participate in your strategy, which
> can be a bad thing to require of customers, and the old way is that when
> you do handoff you lose some potential CDR data.  Why the separation was
> supposed to be a good thing.

I haven't heard anything about that.

Regardless, the real question is - when are Acme Packet, Ditech,
Broadsoft, Metaswitch, Lucent, Cisco (and the various other vendors of
equipment most of the serious providers use at their signaling edge),
etc. going to support IAX?

The answer is, they're not.

So, if you're buying IAX, by and large you're constraining yourself to
deal with someone that uses Asterisk inside their platform core.  There
are some exceptions, in the form of providers that have an Asterisk box
hanging off their network to do SIP->IAX conversion for the odd one-off
customers who want it, but it is not the norm.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems