[asterisk-biz] Need USA virtual PRIs for www.VisionVoIP.com

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Aug 31 11:30:51 CDT 2009

Pascal Bruno wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Alex Balashov
> <abalashov at evaristesys.com <mailto:abalashov at evaristesys.com>> wrote:
>
>     Pascal Bruno wrote:
>
>      > Is this a fact or your personal opinion? Did you ask most large-scale
>      > providers what they are using and they reply everything but asterisk?
>      > How do you know?
>
>     Oh - a strong empiricist.  Charming.
>
>     Did you go to the Moon and check if it actually has craters?
>

> I did not, but I have seen pictures from NASA and reports of studies
> they made, so they actually have some facts and things to back it up and
> that was not personal opinion, so that's exactly what I was asking if
> what you are saying is personal opinion or you have some facts. No need
> to feel offended here.

Indeed.  In addition to having no support among manufacturers of VoIP
network elements used in service delivery platforms of nontrivial size
(I am not referring to phones or ATAs), IAX has a fundamental design
flaw that makes it unworkable for large amounts of traffic.

Its principal issue is that precisely because of that aspect of which is
touted most - that it mixes the signaling and bearer plane into one
packet stream - it cannot be used in larger, more decoupled assemblies
of numerous media gateways controlled by one peripheral signaling agent.

No, I don't have any direct quotations from Level3, Global Crossing, XO,
or a handful of smaller vendors that the rest of these ITSPs are
reselling in some shape or form saying that they don't do IAX handoff.
However, my main line of work is in service delivery platform
engineering and scalable architecture, and I work with actual carriers a
fair bit.

Like you, I can make some conclusions from my experience and knowledge
that has crystallised, and refer to it on the basis of inductive claims.

To the best of my knowledge, it is a fact that nobody outside the
Asterisk cottage industry gives a hoot about IAX.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems