[asterisk-biz] Free DIDs

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Aug 16 02:33:55 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 03:22 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> The reason the word "unlimited" is used is because from a marketing
> perspective it is absolutely impossible to make an attractive,
> straightforward value proposition that any end-user will understand when
> it's replete with all sorts of complicated caveats about minutes and
> termination traffic blends.
>
> Especially when your competitors get to just cut all that out and call
> it "unlimited."

Ahh, but my thing on the use of that word is that if its got limits then
it should not be legal.  I think it is false advertising.  Basically the
way the word is used and qualified via a TOS and all I can say "sign up
and get a check for $1,000,000" and in the TOS say "check is voided
before being mailed, and it makes really bad toilet paper".

I understand the argument that "my competition is being shady so I have
to be equally shady since customers are stupid" and I agree most
consumers are stupid, but they also would not be the ones that get an
unlimited channel 24/7 so there is profit to be made off of them.  They
pick "unlimited" plans without doing the math to know that at $0.02/min
they would save money since they use the phone so little.  I just dont
think that its a good excuse to be shady in advertising.

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721