[asterisk-biz] Free DIDs

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Aug 15 23:58:15 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 00:42 -0400, Peter Beckman wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, mroberts1818 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Some examples of ridiculous, frivolous and destructive arbitrage opportunities?
>
>   Let's not forget the whole Free Conference Calling Scheme using Iowa LECs
>   to get paid a lot of money just to take calls:

well in all fairness, the way its set up in most places where calls are
handed from company to company, money changes hands.  This is because if
I place a call from provider X to provider Y, only provider X can bill
me (my local carrier), yet provider Y's network was used.

This is similar to how internet peering fees are done except its based
on bytes and not minutes.

In the US you have a local carrier, long distance carrier if it crosses
latas, and the remote ends local carrier.  For a long distance call only
the long distance company can bill you.  The long distance company
should not be able to profit off the networks of the local exchange
carriers.

In europe you will see that this type of system still exists when a call
goes from one carrier to the other.  The difference is that they
generally do not sell calls for less than their cost (according to the
FCC its on the carriers in the US to bill their costs and not cry about
losing money).  So when you call from a landline to a mobile, you will
see a higher cost.  Part of that cost goes to the mobile carrier, which
generally has inflated termination rates anyway.  Money is still
changing hands in a similar way to the way it does in the US.

I for example can get Dutch DIDs for compensation, and BT sells UK ones
and Eircom sells Irish ones for compensation as well.  I am not talking
about premium numbers, I am talking about regular geographic numbers.
Odds are everywhere stanaphone exists they are getting compensated and
why they give out free DIDs all over.  I dont know which providers they
use, I really havent looked into who is doing it and who isnt, I only
know of a few carriers personally that do this.

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721