[asterisk-biz] Free DIDs

Nitzan Kon nk3569 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 23:38:06 CDT 2009

We've seen the opposite lately- some toll free numbers would
not answer the call, and instead play their IVR and let the
user navigate the IVR for a few minutes without actually
answering the call, so in essence they do not get billed
for that time. Not sure if this is illegal/against regulations
but it definitely should be above a certain limit. i.e.
playing a "the number is unreachable, press X to page this
person" in early media is FINE - but letting the user go
through several minutes of IVR options in early media seems
like abuse to me.

As far as arbitrage goes - there's plenty of examples to
go around:
1. There used to be a service that would let you call places
like Europe (land lines) "for free" after you called their
US number. The US number was located in a rural area so their
reciprocal compensation was FAR more than the cost of the
calls to Europe. In most cases it's the caller's carrier
that had to pay the bill because the caller was on a calling
plan. Thing about calling plans is though- if enough users
artificially call higher cost numbers, the whole plan will
end up having to go up in price.

2. Another example is "free" party lines, "free" conference
rooms, and other such services locating themselves virtually
in a rural area. While the user thinks it's free - their
carrier has to pay higher termination costs to those areas.

#1 got shut down at some point in time I think due to a
lawsuit. #2 is still going on.

-- Nitzan
http://www.future-nine.com
http://www.comparevoipproviderrates.com