[asterisk-biz] SMS gateway API.

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sat Aug 8 15:26:22 CDT 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Alex Balashov wrote:

> I think the main problem I face here is the cost.  Even at .02 and
> assuming 12 messages/minute (and it could be higher), that's $345/day if
> the messages are continuously sent at a uniform distribution.  And it
> could be easily twice that.

  It is REALLY expensive to do short code SMS.  The carriers love this
  source of revenue.  Just wait until you start hearing about PSMS (Premium
  SMS, where the SMS costs the customer a few bucks, and you are doing well
  if you get half).

> But, I'm guessing this is the best one is going to do with SMS.  I don't
> think it's the right technology choice for this endeavour for a variety of
> reasons.  However, that is the question I've come up against.

  Start thinking about Twitter, Facebook, MySpace.  Many people get alerts
  on their phone, and that cost is paid for by Twitter, Facebook, etc.  Of
  course, you are at their whim for if and when they deliver the message,
  and there is a lot of opting in, but it's a much less expensive way to go
  to get the near instantaneous messaging at a lower cost.

  I've used clickatell.com (3rd party integrator) in the past for inbound
  and outbound SMS, but like Alan said, it's $0.06 per SMS for each inbound
  AND outbound SMS.