[asterisk-biz] asterisk-biz Digest, Vol 61, Issue 11

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Aug 8 02:38:50 CDT 2009

M. Ehsanul Karim wrote:

> I am looking for DIDs that can accept extra numbers at the end.For
> example if your DID number is 12049440008
>
> If we send 12049440008#1234567890 , will you forward the whole number
> including the extra digits as DNID ?
>
> We will be using Asterisk.

What you're asking for isn't really possible.  ITSPs providing
origination simply pass in the dialed digits as received from the telco
(or, repeat resale scenario until you get to the point at which TDM
interconnection actually enters the picture).  Telco switches work in
such a way as to read a certain amount of digits in certain scenarios
and, when received, place the call.  Even if the caller does manage to
cram more digits into an ambiguous dial plan scenario, the digits will
be truncated by the far end to the appropriate specification.

In other words, what you're looking for isn't really meaningful if
you're dealing with PSTN DIDs;  it's something that can only be
accomplished in pure VoIP peering.  And given that scenario, what you're
trying to accomplish would be easier to accomplish many other ways.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems