[asterisk-biz] FW: "illusory" terms of service

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Mon Apr 20 13:26:46 CDT 2009

But that's just it. It's not a contract. These days, a Terms of Service
agreement is really just marketing speak for 'Rules'

You agree to abide by the rules, and all is well. The rules can change
because the nature of the service or the legal system or the economy
changes rather rapidly. You have to understand that, what we can offer
today because of the way laws are written or decided, we may not be able
to offer tomorrow.

Rules change. That is the nature of technology.

Should customers be able to sue every time a rule changes? That's
essentially what's being decided here.

If there's a formal contract, signed by both parties, then yes... it's
insane to say "This contract will change on our whim." But Terms of
Service are rarely formal contracts. They're more often a collection of
rules by which the user needs to abide, and a bunch of legalese stating
how many different ways a company is not responsible for things over
which it has no control and/or bizarre expectations of the uneducated
consumer.

Which one was this?

N.