[asterisk-biz] OT: Co-location vs Build Out Insight

ContactTel Business lists at contacttel.com
Tue Apr 7 17:54:42 CDT 2009

Depends on what  you need, have, and want.
You can always fiber form inhouse to colo, where you can have major switches
present, you can also do some inhouse, but leave the important stuff in
colo, we prefer  different buildings, so that if forces of nature wipe one
out, we got a backup  /redundant..

In house is also more problematic as even a big office wont have the SLA's
in place as the big guys have, power, fire, etc

Back in 1999 i was running hosting+billing operations, my floor was right on
top of a bank, that some wanted to break in in the weekend, well they cut
the power + generators, now in our contract/lease, there was no mention of
these kind of things. So we lost a weekend of transactions and learned we
couldn't trust any one point of failure..

Then again , if its all to just run 1 asterisk box... just put in under the
secretary's desk and no one will ever hear about it ;)