[asterisk-biz] OT: Co-location vs Build Out Insight

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Apr 7 16:00:12 CDT 2009

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Wes Reece wrote:

> I was wondering what the thoughts of the community were on this. When does
> it make sense to co-locate and when does it make sense to have an in-house
> DC? What are the deciding factors?

  I prefer hosting on other people's hardware, and making sure my business
  isn't tied down to physical lines.  Not only is this cheaper, but it makes
  my business more agile, because I can move operations overnight without
  any interruption in service.

  As for your question, when your monthly colo bill is 20% more than your
  in-house estimated costs, and the amount of money you need to spend on
  infrastructure is less than 300% of your monthly colo bill, and you have
  the cash available to do so, that's when you switch.

  eg. Monthly Colo bill      $10k/month
      In-house est cost       $8k/month (or less)
      In-house prep/build    $30k (or less)

  Also, if you have a migrane from dealing with your colo, or you hate them,
  or they go down all the time, it's time.

Beckman