[asterisk-biz] Skype for Asterisk.

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Sep 25 17:33:17 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>wrote:

> It may just be my profound ignorance of the merits of Skype, but I am
> not sure what the benefit here is or why it is desirable or beneficial.
>
> It seems to me that Skype and Asterisk provide elements of VoIP
> solutions and service at very different echelons of the business market
> and are intended for very different purposes.  In other words, the sort
> of people that use Skype and benefit from Skype precisely for what it is
> on the front-end side are unlikely to be using Asterisk.
>
> But, I could be wrong, and of course, convergence is never a bad thing.
>  It would probably be nice to be able to take Skype "lines" and put
> Asterisk features and PBX services on them.
>
> Maybe this is sounding a lot like, "Nobody needs more than 640 kB of
> RAM!" -- so, I'll shut up now.  :)
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
> Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
> Mobile : (+1) (706) 338-8599

Maybe you can get an idea of the possibilities of Skype here
http://www.vosky.com

I am VoSKY certified, but I don't think they will be around much longer
after today's announcement (along with a bunch of other Skype gateway
products).  I guess it depends if they plan on charging for licensing like
G729 and how much.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro