[asterisk-biz] European mobile tariffs & US tariffs

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 06:14:13 CDT 2008

2008/9/22 Trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com>

> There are however carriers in europe that are starting to realize that
> its insane to keep the fees high and are trying to get them lowered, as
> a result you are seeing slightly better rates in some areas and some are
> starting to give more free minutes and such (or priced as if they are on
> the same network), although that is taking a really long time to happen
> and its very slow.

Incumbent (Large) Mobile operators like the interconnect fees high.  It
doesn't really matter to them because they "earn" about as much as they
"spend".  So its funny money.  But its great to keep the market tied up and
make it hard for new operators to get started.  So it keeps the club cozy so
it can be business as usual fleecing the customers.

South Africa is a good example.  We used to have two operators, plus the
fixed line telco.  Interconnect charges were at about 10 or 20c per minute
(1 to 2 euro-cents).  Just before a third operator was to enter the market,
they adjusted the interconnect charge up to R1.25 (10 euro-cents or so).

Regards,
Steve