[asterisk-biz] IAX phones

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 04:26:44 CDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Alex Balashov
<abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
>>      > Why would one ever use non-sip phones?
>> Three letters:  N A T
> I am not sure that is a convincing argument, in light of all the
> detriments.

Another reason is 5060 being blocked in many countires of the world. I
have several IAX phones (for testing, mostly) and a couple of them
have worked very well. I used one specifically for travel in hotel
rooms and at rented apartments where I couldn't mess with the router.

I think the most important reason why these phones aren't great is
because there isn't enough of a market for them. I used an IAXy for
years and it worked beautifully, so I don't believe it's a question of
the protocol only.

(By the way, we'll be talking about phones hard and soft next Friday
Sept 19th at 12 Noon Eastern Time on the weekly
http://VoipUsersConference.org )