[asterisk-biz] IAX phones

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Sep 14 22:28:59 CDT 2008

John van Oppen wrote:

> Why would one ever use non-sip phones?    IAX is not anywhere near as
> widely supported as SIP and is harder to scale (due to all of the load
> balancer products being geared towards SIP).  Just being stuck with
> asterisk seems to be a good reason not to use IAX as it makes it harder
> to swap out asterisk for some of the bigger bulkier switches as needs grow.

I mean this in the nicest way possible:  you are 100% correct.  IAX is a
tool of either (1) People whose work never ventures beyond the scope of
Asterisk, or (2) Asterisk fan boys whose imagination does not extend
beyond that universe and who imagine commercial VoIP offerings to be
based around Asterisk, even as their VoIP platform requirements outgrow
it by leaps and bounds.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems