[asterisk-biz] General development funding: discussion and survey

Paul Brown prbrown at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 08:16:15 CDT 2008

I don't want to sound snarky, but could you offer a pointer or two to
get somebody started who wanted to find the problems (and perhaps some
suggested solutions) with the way Digium is doing Open Source?  I am
genuinely interested.

Currently, I'm inclined to agree that some sort of escrow-ed
bountty-for-features type system would be beneficial.  As a guy with a
telephony background but no programming, it might be useful for me to
be able to contribute cash toward solving a problem or creating a
feature that would be profitable to me.  As it is, I see that I would
have 3 options...

1. Wait and hope.
2. Fund it completely - hire somebody myself.  Not necessarily
unreasonable, depending on work:benefit of the particular feature/fix.
3. Find some other people that will share the cost with me.  Again,
not unreasonable but I think the OP's suggestion would make this a lot
easier.  If it was widely adopted.  But that was the question, wasn't
it?

Paul Brown
Birmingham, AL