[asterisk-biz] Why so many international customers ask for free samples

Peter Lindquist peter.lindquist.th at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 07:34:51 CDT 2008

Andy and friends,

Sitting on both sides of this by buying equipment from many Taiwanese
and Chinese suppliers, and selling to Thai, European, US and other
customers. We get asked by some to provide samples, especially for
equipment that do not exist or is easily available on the end market.

There are no problems when customers ask for things like Linksys ATAs
etc., the customer know the equipment and have access to specifications,
manuals, etc. However for a lot of "non-brand" equipment customers wants
a sample and we want samples from our suppliers. The easiest way to do
this is usually to provide single or a small number of units at a
slightly higher price than in bulk. I don't really know anyone or have
met anyone being willing to order hundreds of units of any equipment
without first have had tested a sample and have access to manuals and
full specifications.

Saying that you can always return the equipment, that means in the end
having the risk of having to pay for a lot of shipping costs and bank
transfer fees. We don't like this at all to be honest.

A recommendation to Chinese suppliers and others is to provide adequate
data on the equipment they sell and have decent manuals. All too many
times we receive equipment where manuals and actual interfaces are very
unsync'd, or the equipment is different in specifications than
previously provided. This is a reason to why we want to be able to buy
or be provided with sample units.

It is much appreciated to be given discounts for the sample units once a
larger order is placed.

Don't despair we all have a tougher time now and need to look for
markets, be they international or local.

All the best!

Peter