[asterisk-biz] OT--Cisco Hardware

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun Oct 5 00:41:49 CDT 2008

 <snipped>

> > I have become a big fan of Dell PowerConnect switches.  At one point in
> > time, I would have laughed at anyone suggesting a Dell switch, but now I
> > actually suggest and deploy them, unless I am working in an all Cisco
> > shop and they insist.
> >
> > These are the two I use the most
> >
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2724?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
> > <
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2724?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
> >

> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2748?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
> > <
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2748?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
> >

> > They can run in managed mode or simple (dumb) mode but you get all
> > gigabit and two fiber gigabit ports as well.  The specs kick butt for
> > the price.  No used Ebay stuff, new, full warranty, and I have had zero
> > issues with any that I have deployed.
> >
> > If you want to go higher end,
> >
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/data_center_gig?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
> > <
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/data_center_gig?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
> >

> http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/poe?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
> > <
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/poe?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
> >

> > The pricing is still great for a new high end switch that is just as
> > feature rich, if not more, and easier to configure for non Cisco IOS
> people.
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Steve Totaro
> > +18887771888 (Toll Free)
> > +12409381212 (Cell)
> > +12024369784 (Skype)
> >

> Hey Steve,
>
> Those switches look great for the price. I'm not familiar with the SFP
> ports. Are the uplinks on those fiber or does it support standard
> fast-ethernet on the uplinks?

SFP is for fiber, they take LC form factor, at least for the GBICs that I
have used.

You can uplink on any port, I am not sure if you can even find a new switch
that needs a crossover cable when connecting between switches.  With fiber,
you do have to flip the TX/RX strands though.

Most of the models are gigabit (1000BASE-T) on all ports, not fast-ethernet
(100BASE-T).

For connecting two switches together, you can just use copper (CAT5 works
but you might as well pull CAT6 if you have to pull in the first place).

If the run is going to be too long for copper, you can use the SFP port (you
need to buy at least two GBICs, one for each switch).

They are multimode 62.5.

I just pulled a little under 1,000 feet through some underground conduit a
couple of weeks ago.  I purchased a 1,000 feet, riser rated, six strand
spool for $130 on ebay (with individual strand test results printed out and
taped to the spool (it made also made in the US, which a big plus for me).

I remember this stuff used to cost a fortune!  Even three foot patch cables
used to cost hundreds.

Anyways, I only terminated two strands, had I done four, I could aggregate
the links for two gigabit connection, this can be done with copper too.

I always suggest pulling twice the number of strands that you "need", a
mouse, cable sitting on a hot water pipe, someone in the ceiling bends the
fiber too much and the glass breaks, whatever.

It is easier and cheaper to just get fiber cable with a bunch of extra
strands and even aggregate them, then you wouldn't even notice a problem
unless the noticed the fiber link light was out.

If there is a problem, you get a guy to shine a flashlight down each strand
and with him on a cell phone or two way radios, you test each fiber to see
if you can see the light on the other end.  I learned this through
experience at a huge pharmacy where I was the system admin.  Luckily, they
had pulled four strands because out of each pair, one strand was bad, but
together they were fine.

Another thing to keep in mind, you do not gain any ports on these units by
using the SFPs, if you add fiber on an SFP port, then you lose one of the
copper ports, it is a trade off 24 or 48 ports is what you get, no matter
how you set it up.

Lastly, NEVER look directly into the laser.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro