[asterisk-biz] OT--Cisco Hardware

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Oct 4 21:32:35 CDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>wrote:

> Many.  But I'd try www.isptrader.com first.
>
> Igor Hernandez wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the heads up Alex. Do you have any places you could recommend?
> >
> > Alex Balashov wrote:
> >> You can find a 2900-series Catalyst (24-port 100 Base-T) on eBay or
> >> through some aftermarket sellers for $100-$150 at most.  I got mine for
> $40.
> >>
> >> Just bear in mind that the WC2924s don't support VLAN tags higher than
> >> 1005.  You need a 2950 to do the full 4096.

> not
> >>>

> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
> Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
> Mobile : (+1) (706) 338-8599

I have become a big fan of Dell PowerConnect switches.  At one point in
time, I would have laughed at anyone suggesting a Dell switch, but now I
actually suggest and deploy them, unless I am working in an all Cisco shop
and they insist.

These are the two I use the most
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2724?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2748?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

They can run in managed mode or simple (dumb) mode but you get all gigabit
and two fiber gigabit ports as well.  The specs kick butt for the price.  No
used Ebay stuff, new, full warranty, and I have had zero issues with any
that I have deployed.

If you want to go higher end,
http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/data_center_gig?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/poe?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

The pricing is still great for a new high end switch that is just as feature
rich, if not more, and easier to configure for non Cisco IOS people.
--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro