[asterisk-biz] Colocated Asterisk Server

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Oct 3 10:58:43 CDT 2008

Chris Bagnall wrote:

>> Or, just colocate in the US.
>
> Fine for web / database services, but probably not so good for telephony applications
> (unless you're serving a predominantly US-based customer base).

Well, that's not necessarily true.  Yes, of course you're going to add
some latency, but it doesn't have to be too much.  It all depends on how
the US data center is peered.  If it's peered with primarily Tier 1
backbones that privately haul trans-Atlantic traffic and go back to
LINX, Redbus, etc. in London, you're pretty well off.

That said, of course, there is additional latency.  If by "telephony
applications" you mean media handling (and no way to release it), then
you probably don't want to be in the US serving a UK customer base.  If
it's another kind of telephony application, it might work great.

There are several calling card vendors I deal with that send their media
to termination providers in Western Europe from here in the US and don't
seem to get any complaints.

>> Data center power offerings here are not even denominated in terms of
>> single amps, but usually tens of them.
>
> Most full racks in the well-connected datacentres in the UK generally offer 8 or 16A included
> in your rental charge. Anything above that is usually charged extra, and the "overuse" charges
> are not inconsiderable. Bear in mind if you want to fully load that rack with 1U boxes and
> each server's using 0.9A, even a 16A allocation is woefully insufficient.

Well, of course.  It's pretty much the same here, with the difference
that it is more typical to just charge for another block of amps as an
overage rather than bill obscene amounts per amp.  It depends on the
data center, though.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems