[asterisk-biz] OT Preventing VoipSpam Was RE: [OT] Reporting Spam

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Nov 7 14:28:45 CST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 11:24 -0800, John Todd wrote:
> It would be possible right now to create a filter mechanism that would
> allow you to whitelist/blacklist callers based on "Caller ID" in the
> From: header, using existing DNS tools with probably very few
> downsides.

I do it with enum, if there is a response its blacklisted, the same way
RBLs work, in fact at one time before you were with digium I had
approached you (John) about doing something like this, but it never went
anywhere (dont feel bad others that had other infrastructure that was
better suited to do this also said yes then it went silent).  I had
given up on doing this a couple years ago because I couldnt find anyone
else particularly interested in actually going past the talking stage.

I had even planned on doing different routes based on the call, which
would terminate locally of course, but that way you could flag calls
based on commercial, religious, political, scam, etc so that custom
allow some types but not others.

There are some quirks in the way that asterisk deals with enum that
would make this less desirable, but they can be overcome.  And because
its enum its not a single product solution, or a lot of new code, it
would literally be a dialplan change for anyone that wants it, and enum
being a standard it should work in a reliable way regardless of what
switch technology was used, so long as it does enum.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200