[asterisk-biz] Key selling points (or) USPs for Asterisk PBX

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Nov 6 07:52:57 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:29 AM, deva free <devafree at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I am new here. I am currently doing freelance Asterisk work in Chennai,
> India.
>
> I would be glad to hear from the experienced members of our list as to what
> they define as the best things about adoption of Asterisk instead of
> proprietary  solutions.
>
> I myself list (pitch to prospectives) on freedom from vendor lock-in,
> features, flexibility and of course cost.
>
> Regards
>
> devafree
> (R.Mahadevan)

I don't focus so much on upfront cost, if they are shopping, they will be
aware.

Besides, sometimes the initial cost is MORE for an Asterisk system compared
to a little Toshiba or whatever.

If you price yourself too low, you are just hurting yourself and will be out
of business soon enough, which also hurts Open Source as a whole and
Asterisk directly.

I pickup so many customers from guys that do data only stuff and stumble
upon Asterisk, think they can make a few bucks on it, but do not understand
the intricacies nor best practices of voice and/or VoIP, and they stop doing
Asterisk after falling short on several installs, they stop offering
Asterisk service, or the customer gets fed up with on going problems and are
glad to pay top dollar for what is essentially the life blood of their
company.

I focus on ROI, more productivity, lower cost of ownership overall.

PSSSS,  Sometimes an 3com V3000 is a much better fit for a customer than
Asterisk.  Other customers may be better served with a different
non-asterisk based system.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro