[asterisk-biz] How is Skype pulling this off ?

Nitzan Kon nk3569 at yahoo.com
Sat May 31 01:37:07 CDT 2008

Good luck to you. But I hope for your sake your pockets are
VERY deep. You can't get something from nothing, and you will
have to pay for the calls your users make. If you can subsidize
it with advertisements and such, all the power to you - but in
my opinion ad-supported free calling won't work unless you're
pretty strict on how much calling credit you hand out. If you
give out too much, you won't make enough ad revenue to cover
calling costs. If you give out too little, users will see it
as too annoying and quit using it.

In the end, it's all economics - you can't take a product which
costs money (i.e. calling minutes) and turn it into "free". Skype
will end up getting a whole bunch of abusers on their network and
lose a lot of money until they shut it down. MagicJack will take
the money and disappear. Other such companies will have the same
fate.

The only company which does manage to offer "free" calling is
Betamax. Why? because it's not free. You BUY free days, which
makes it not free (but still very cheap).

I do agree with your assessment in general though. Although I
don't see what Skype is doing (or will do) as a major problem
for VoIP or for the market. The market is booming for VoIP, and
one company (Skype, MagicJack, etc.) collapsing will not change
anything. Sure- it'll make people think twice before jumping on
the next "all you can talk" bandwagon, but reputable providers
with a proven track record will still gain market share.

Just my .0323 cents. ;)