[asterisk-biz] route5060.com

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri May 30 17:19:17 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 19:13 +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> But +44118 doesn't translate to 118, it translates to 0118, and is the
> normal geographical code for Reading. I've no idea why the OP said it
> was premium rate.

not to nitpick but this is a pet peeve, 0 is a dialing prefix not part
of the number, all it does is say "I am dialing someone in a different
city/exchange but still in the same country".  I do not know if this is
what he meant but the real number would be +44118 for reading (assuming
you are right on the city, which I will go ahead and do).  0118 is a UK
national dialing prefix of '0' plus the city code 118.

And to take this slightly further and make a request for all
providers :)  It would really be better if dialed numbers and caller id
was all presented as e.164 and all things like national dialing
prefixes, etc were removed.  A problem I see, which exists in multiple
countries, is for caller id if its international you get the country
code, if its domestic you do not, but you have no way of knowing whether
that is the case or not so you have to do a whole lot of munging to try
to figure it out.  The same goes with dialed numbers, some providers
want a + prefix, some want 011/00 (another dial prefix), etc.  Just
normalize it all and let the end equipment create the dialplan the
customer is comfortable with (ie short dialing for same city, they
select if they want 00 or 011, etc).

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200