[asterisk-biz] SIP , SIP-I and SIP-T

Raj Jain rj2807 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 06:47:26 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:33 AM, Dome Charoenyost <dome at tel.co.th> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Can someone explain about SIP,SIP-T and SIP-T ?
> and Asterisk support SIP-I,SIP-T or not ?

SIP-T is defined in RFC 3372, an IETF specification. It is an
extension of the SIP protocol that defines a mechanism for carrying
ISUP messages within SIP payload. The goal was to achieve complete
transparency between two ISUP nodes bridged over a SIP network.

SIP-I is defined in Q.1912.5, an ITU-T specification. It achieves the
same goal as SIP-T, but there are some subtle differences between the
two.

Asterisk does not support either of these today. Supporting these
specs in Asterisk would make sense in environments where Asterisk is
used as a SIP/SS7 gateway. It would also make sense to add support for
these in Asterisk if it is expected to tunnel ISUP payload from one
call leg to another while performing a B2BUA function.

--
Raj Jain