[asterisk-biz] Outbound fax services?

voipguy 2008asterisk05 at shawngardell.com
Tue May 20 20:07:20 CDT 2008

Hi,

My own needs are for testing various inbound fax devices and services.
Other than testing I average less than 10 pages a month, sometimes none
at all for over a month.

However, I am definitely looking for something my clients can use.

I have tried a few services out and that improves my list of must have
features:

- Ability to use https web portal or secure api for sending faxes.
Combine this with ability to disable any fax through email feature. Most
services offering outbound via email attachments are not secure.
Interception of the content is one issue. The other is that someone can
easily hijack your account to send a bunch of faxes.

- Ability to specify a caller ID along with CSID. One service I tried
sent a caller ID that was different from the incoming fax DID they
assigned. If all subscribers are sending that xxx-xxx-9999 caller ID,
some of them might cause the number to get blacklisted.

- I can live with only a few file formats being supported but I do want
them rendered properly. With one service I exported an openoffice
spreadsheet to a single page pdf file and sent it. Instead of doing a
best fit, it cropped it to about the upper left sixth of the page! It
was an important fax so I had to print the pdf, use sane to scan, use
the convert command to make another pdf scan and then resend it.

A good t.38 service provider would inspire me to work more on the client
end of things.

--
voipguy