[asterisk-biz] Small business question from developing nation

Mudy Situmorang mudy at tdmm.net
Tue May 20 09:57:20 CDT 2008

Hi,

I'm from developing nation somewhere beyond pacific, where IP solution is
still rare and the market is quite small (for you guys). We're selling /
renting PABX solution for buildings. I'm trying to switch the business into
full IP solution.

Asterisk Digium is a sound solution. However, in our calculation the price
of IP phone makes total price higher. I've tried to calculate using analog
converter and cheap phone but still doesnt look so good (calculation below).
Using converter seems not a right solution. Most lowend customer choose
cheaper used PABX while highend choose new PABX with fancy digital phone and
some (limited) IP capabilities.

My question, (to make it easier) which is better solution:

a. I should look for cheaper IP phone that is compatible with Digium (do you
have any clue where I can find such phone?)

b. I should try to develop local implementation of Asterisk (we have some
low cost local engineer, but would it difficult and cost much more?)

c. I should look for existing asterisk implementation other than Digium that
is cheaper (perhaps from India or China?)

d. Other.... ?

TIA.

Regards,
Mudy

Brand new major brand PABX: US$ 75,000
Main unit, attendant console, 300 digital & 120 IP trunk, annual license
cost

Used major brand PABX: US$ 40,000
450 line

Digium solution:
Switchvox SMB, silver subscription, Quad span T1/E1 with echo cancellation,
annual license cost
$  30,556

With lynksys PAP2T
Lynksys 200 units		$  21,800