[asterisk-biz] ANI

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue May 13 16:57:29 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 16:40 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > As far as I know, the ANI is the BTN, but I could be very wrong.
>
> Well, that's what *I* thought.  I have an LSSGR available; I guess I'll
> go look it up.

Ok, I will give one final post on this.  I had hoped that you would let
it go seeing that I wasnt going to respond, but that was not the case.

Here are a few examples of others that think they are indeed different:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7289613-description.html
Unlike FG-D, which can only pass one call identifier, such as the
caller's ANI, more advanced signaling systems can pass multiple call
identifiers, e.g., the BTN and the ANI, which is helpful in keeping
track of details used to bill telephone calls across telephone lines
controlled by different entities.

The patent indicates that they are separate.  Metro One was the company
that filed that.

http://www22.verizon.com/wholesale/glossary/?l=b#billing_telephone_number

Automatic Number Identification (ANI)
The number transmitted through the network that identifies the calling
party. Technically, a Common Channel Inter-office Signaling (CCIS)
parameter that refers to the number transmitted on an out-of-band basis
through the SS7 signaling network identifying the calling party's
telephone number. Also known as Calling Party Number (CPN).

Billing Telephone Number (BTN)
The ten-digit number, including the area code, to which charges for a
given telephone service are billed.

Calling Party Number (CPN)
The number transmitted through the network that identifies the calling
party. Technically, a Common Channel Inter-office Signaling (CCIS)
parameter that refers to the number transmitted on an out-of-band basis
through the SS7 signaling network identifying the calling party's
telephone number. Also known as Automatic Number Identification (ANI)

If verizon thought the BTN was the same as ANI they probably would have
used the same definition as they did for CPN/ANI.  Further CPN/ANI make
no mention of being the number service is billed to.  This number has
been known to traffic on the SS7 network as I had originally said, it
however is almost never logged and if it were it would lead to the ITSP
that interfced with the pstn and start allowing for tracking back to who
actually placed the call.  It takes at the minimum SS7 interconnection
to specify this, so most people wont be spoofing that.

I cited 2 reasonably large phone companies, and logically the reason why
its different is because you may want all calls billed to 1 number but
allow either arbitrary ANI setting to any of your multiple DIDs on that
circuit.  It is a separation between what will be presented to end users
as the caller identity and who is getting billed.

I hope that this can be dropped now and focus back on the original
thread.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200